Gemma was born and raised in Gravesend, Kent, UK. Her parents divorced when she was age 5, and so Gemma lived with her younger sister and her mother. Her father is a welder and her mother a cleaner. They encouraged their children to explore their creative abilities. Gemma's sister, Hannah, liked to sing, whereas Gemma chose acting.
During her teenage years, she was part of the Masquerade and Miskin theater companies, appearing in productions of The Massacre of Civitella and Guiding Star. In 2004, she won an award for Best Supporting Actress, which helped her to win a grant to study at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA).
Whilst studying at RADA, she landed her first professional role in Capturing Mary (2007) (TV), directed by Stephen Poliakoff and starring Maggie Smith. Gemma graduated from RADA in 2007 and won her first film role in St. Trinian's (2007). Her breakthrough role came in 2008, when she appeared in the James Bond film Quantum of Solace (2008). In 2009, she was the winner of Empire's Best Newcomer Award.
- Clash of the Titans (2010)
- The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2010)
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)
- Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)
- Raised by a single mother.
- She has a younger sister called Hannah (b. 1989).
- Featured in Empire Magazine's "The Hot List" as one of the biggest upcoming stars in the 2010's. Other people on the list were Channing Tatum, Zoe Saldana, Marion Cotillard, Mia Wasikowska and "Clash of the Titans" co-star Sam Worthington.
- Were filming her last scene for "A Deal Is a Deal" when she was told, she had won the part in "Quantum of Solace".
- Beat out 1500 other actresses for her role in "Quantum of Solace".
- She is of English, with more distant German and Scottish, ancestry.
|Cast and Crew|
|Crew||Tommy Wirkola - Adam McKay - Will Ferrell - Hans Zimmer - Atli Örvarsson|
|Cast||Alea Sophia Boudodimos - Bjørn Sundquist - Cedric Eich - Christian Rubeck - Derek Mears - Famke Janssen - Gemma Arterton - Ingrid Bolsø Berdal - Jeremy Renner - Joanna Kulig - Kathrin Kühnel - Lucy Ella von Scheele - Monique Ganderton - Peter Stormare - Pihla Viitala - Rainer Bock - Robin Atkin Downes - Thomas Mann - Thomas Scharff - Tommy Wirkola - Zoë Bell|